IBPS PO | All About IBPS Exam 2023
IBPS PO- Institute of Banking Personnel Selection Probationary Officers
IBPS is the authoritative body for assessing candidates for recruitment in public sector banks in India. It conducts online examinations for recruiting candidates for clerical cadres in 11 public sector banks all over the nation. IBPS is based in the city of Mumbai, India. The institute conducts several exams for different positions in public sector banks such as:
- IBPS Clerk Exam for clerical positions
- IBPS PO Exam for Probationary Officers
- IBPS SO Exam for Specialist Officers
- IBSC RRB Exam for Officers and office assistants in Regional Rural Banks
The vision of IBPS is to develop and implement world-class systems and processes for the assessment and selection of candidates in a fair manner for client organization and conducting relevant research and publicizing the results.
IBPS mainly conducts exams online mode it accepts applications for online exams at its official website and the exams are conducted at various locations all over the country. Mainly all the public sector and rural banks accept the IBPS scores except RBI. Some of the banks which accept the IBPS scores for recruitment are named below:
- Allahabad Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Central Bank of India
- Dena Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Punjab National Bank
- Union Bank of India
- UCO Bank
IBPS PO is a national-level exam conducted once in a year for recruitment to the post of PO/MT-Probationary Officer/Management Trainee in 11 public sector banks in the country. The IBPS PO exam consists of a preliminary exam, the main exam, and an interview.
Every year thousands of students appear for the IBPS PO exam in order to seek a high-paying job in the banking sector. Jobs in the banking sector are considered one of the most sought-after career options in India. The post of PO/MT-Probationary Officers/Management Trainee in the public sector banks in India is largely demanded because of its lucrative salary and career growth.
The exam for IBPS PO is been conducted for the last 10 years. Through this competitive exam, eligible and enthusiastic young graduates are recruited to fulfilling the manpower requirement. The job profiles of IBPS PO include clerical supervision, managerial tasks, and processing and documentation of loans. INBPS PO is the most admired job among all the banking jobs in the nation.
The candidates, who are willing to appear for the IBPS PO exam will need to, fulfill certain eligibility criteria to participate in the recruitment drive. The eligibility criteria consist of age limit, educational qualification, nationality, etc.
In case, the candidates will not be able to fulfill any of the prescribed eligibility criteria then they will not be able to appear for the IBPS PO exam. Before filling out the application form for the IBPS PO exam, candidates should have a comprehensive knowledge of the recruitment process and eligibility criteria. Some of the necessary details regarding the eligibility criteria are mentioned below:
Age Limit Criteria
Candidates appearing for the IBPS PO exam must fall into the requisite age group for getting ahead in the selection process. Candidates should check the minimum and maximum age limit to appear for the IBPS PO exam. Keeping into consideration the upper age limit, candidates can take the exam as many times. To appear for this exam, the minimum age of the candidates should be 20 years and the maximum age should be 30 years.
Certain age relaxation is provided to the reserved category candidates on the upper age limit. The age relaxation varies for different categories such as:
- The candidates belonging to the OBC category (non-creamy layer) are provided with an age relaxation of 3 years
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST category are provided with an age relaxation of 5 years
- People who were ordinarily domiciled in Jammu and Kashmir during the period of 01.01.1980 to 31.12.1989 are provided with an age relaxation of 5 years
- People affected by the 1984riots are provided with an age relaxation of 5 years
- Candidates with disabilities are provided with an age relaxation of 10 years
- Commissioned Officers including Emergency Commissioned Officers (ECOs)/ Short Service Commissioned Officers (SSCOs), Ex-Servicemen who have rendered a minimum of 5 years of military service and have been released on completion of the assignment will be provided with an age relaxation of 5 years.
The candidates who have been provided with age relaxation to fulfill the eligibility criteria will need to provide relevant certificates in original as well as Xerox at the time of the interview or at any stage of recruitment as required by IBPS.
It is also necessary for the candidates to fulfill the eligibility criteria for nationality to be able to get through the selection process. The nationality eligibility criteria are in accordance with the rules stated by the Indian Government. The nationality eligibility criteria for IBPS PO are mentioned below:
- Candidates must be citizens of India
- They should be subject to Nepal or Bhutan
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before 1 January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in the country
- A candidate of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania Zambia, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam with an intention to permanently settle in India is eligible to apply.
Candidates who do not belong to Indian citizenship should have a certificate of eligibility issued by the Indian Government.
It is essential for the candidates to fulfill the requisite educational qualification for getting ahead in the recruitment process. Below written is the educational qualification which is too fulfilled by the candidates to appear for the IBPS PO exam.
- Candidates must have pursued a graduation degree in any discipline or stream from a university or college recognized by the government of India.
- Candidates should have a valid mark sheet or degree certificate which certifies that he/she graduated on the day prescribed by IBPS. The date mentioned on the provisional certificate/mark sheet issued by the university is considered the date of passing the eligibility examination.
In case any university provides a web-based certificate or the result is posted inline, then the candidates will need to submit an original document or certificate which is signed by an appropriate college/university authority and it should clearly mention the date of passing the institute and the candidates will have to present it at the time of interview otherwise, the eligibility criteria will not e fulfilled.
Do Click to know All About IBPS Clerk
The percentage marks are calculated by dividing the total marks obtained by the students in all semesters /years by the aggregate maximum marks and then multiplying by 100. It is also applicable for colleges and universities where class/grade is decided on the basis of honors marks only.
If CGPA/OGPA is awarded by the institute then the same will be converted into percentages and it will be mentioned in the online application. At the time of the interview, candidates will need to provide a certificate issued by the appropriate authority stating university norms regarding the conversion of grades into percentages and the percentage scored by the candidates in terms of norms.
The selection process of IBPS PO is decided by the officials of the institute of banking personnel selection. The IBPS PO selection process consists of mainly three stages such as:
- Preliminary Exam
- Main Exam
- Interview Round
Candidates will need to fill out a single IBVPS PO application form for all three stages. Below given are some of the necessary details regarding the selection process for the IBPS PO exam.
Stage 1 – Prelims Exam
It is the initial stage of the selection process for the IBPS PO exam. The prelims exam consists of three sections and a sectional timing of 20 minutes is allotted to each section. This exam is an objective type of test and it consists of a total of 100 questions. Some of the necessary details regarding the IBPS PO preliminary exam are written below:
- The exam will include three sections namely Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude, and English Language
- Sectional timings for each section is 20 minutes
- The reasoning ability section consists of a total of 35 questions for 35 marks
- The quantitative aptitude section consists of a total of 35 questions for 35 marks and the English language section consist of a total of 30 questions for a total of 30 marks.
- It is necessary for the candidates to secure the minimum cutoff marks decided by the IBPS in all three sections.
- The prelims exam is only of qualifying nature, the marks secured in this exam will not be added anywhere else.
- Although the marks secured in the prelims exam will not be considered in the interview or final selection but it is necessary for the candidates to qualify for this stage successfully before proceeding to the next stage.
Stage 2- Mains Exam
It is the second and crucial stage of IBPS PO recruitment. The main exam holds the utmost importance in the selection process for IBPS PO. The candidates who have successfully qualified for the mains exam will be shortlisted for the interview round. This exam is both objective and descriptive in nature. Some of the necessary details regarding the main exam are mentioned below:
- The objective test includes Reasoning & Computer Aptitude, Data Analysis & Interpretation, and English Language.
- The reasoning and computer aptitude section consist of total of 45 questions for 60 marks and its duration is mainly 60 minutes
- The data analysis and interpretation section includes a total of 35 questions for 60 marks and its duration is mainly 45 minutes
- The English language section includes a total of 35 questions for 40 marks and its duration is mainly 40 minutes.
- The descriptive test includes letter writing and an essay which includes 2 questions for 25 marks and its duration is mainly 30 minutes.
The candidates who will be able to secure sectional cutoff in each section and the overall cutoff for the IBPS PO mains exam will get preceded to the next stage of the interview. It is essential for the candidates to secure well in the main examination as it carries the maximum weightage in the final selection.
As per it marking scheme, negative marking will be done in both prelims and mains. A deduction of 0.25 marks will be done for each incorrect answer. If any question is left blank, then no marks will be deducted for that answer.
Stage 3- Interview
It is the last and third stage of the IBPS PO exam. Candidates who have successfully qualified for the mains exam will be called for the interview session. Some of the necessary details regarding the interview are discussed below:
- Total marks allotted to the interview are 100
- Out of 100, candidates belonging to the general category will need dot secure approximately 40 marks and the candidates belonging to OBC/SC/ST/PWD will need to obtain a minimum of 35 marks.
In the stage of the interview, candidates will need to face an interview with a panel of bank officials. The interview is conducted at certain places in the nation. The candidates who will be shortlisted in the mains exam will be provided with all the information regarding the venue of the interview and other necessary information in their interview call letter.
The final merit list of IBPS is prepared on the basis of scores obtained in the main examination and interview round. The weightage of scores obtained in the main exam is more than the weightage of marks obtains in an interview.
The final cutoff will be released by the IBPS for diverse categories on a particular date. The candidates who secured the final cutoff will be selected for the post of probationary officer in one of the participating banks. The final cutoff is decided on the basis of available vacancies and the maximum scores obtained by any candidate.
Provisional Allotment of IBPS PO
The name of the allotted bank will be declared in the final result of the candidates. If candidates have successfully secured more than or equal to the minimum final cutoff marks then they will be selected in the selection process of IBPS PO for the post of probationary officer. The allocation will be done on the basis of scores obtained by the candidates.
Firstly, banks will be allotted to those candidates who have secured higher cutoffs as compared to the other candidates. The candidates are allotted to the participating banks according to the availability of seats in the banks and also according to the preference marked by the candidates.
Hopefully, the above-written article on the topic of IBPS PO will help you to collect the necessary facts and information.
Do follow us on our official website